Battle of Britain London Monument – F/Lt. R E G Morewood THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few." Contact Information How to Contribute Latest News Home
Privacy Statement The Airmen’s Stories – F/Lt. R E G Morewood
Roger Edward Guy Morewood was born in Worthing on 7th March 1916. He was educated at The Grange Preparatory School and went on to a public school and then the Edinburgh College of Art to study photography.
On 30th September 1935 Morewood joined the RAF as a direct-entry Airman u/t Pilot.
He was at 4 E&RFTS Brough from 30th September to 24th November. He was next posted to 7 E&RFTS Desford on 20th January 1936 for further training and left there on 4th August to go to the RAF Depot Uxbridge, where he became an Acting Pilot Officer with a short service commission.
On 22nd August 1936 Morewood was posted to 3 FTS Grantham and he joined 56 Squadron at North Weald on 24th April 1937. He left the squadron on 1st October 1939 to help form 248 Squadron at Hendon.
Morewood served with 248 throughout the Battle until early July 1942. On the 29th he went to 9 OTU Aldergrove. After a week he was sent to 3 FIS Hullavington for an instructors course, after which he returned to 9 OTU.
On 17th May 1944 Morewood was appointed Wing Commander Flying at Bircham Newton. He moved to Langham on 12th August in the same capacity.
On 23rd October Morewood went to HQ Transport Command, was made OC Flying at Castel Benito on 29th November and in early March 1945 he took command of 65 Staging Post at Pommigliano. After a six month period of sickness and sick leave from mid-July 1945 until the end of January 1946 Morewood became Station Commander at RAF Dalcross.
He went to HQ 64 Group, Norton in May 1946, as SASO, and was released from the RAF in July 1947 as a Wing Commander. During the war years he received two Mentions in Despatches.
Morewood rejoined the RAF in November 1951 and after a refresher course at South Cerney and instruction at CFS Little Rissington he was posted to 8 AFTS Dalcross on 28th April 1952. He instructed at the Edinburgh University Air Squadron from 21st October 1953 to 22nd August 1955 and then at Glasgow University Air Squadron until September 1957, when he retired for a second time, as a Wing Commander.
He and his wife then started a successful boarding kennel in Aberdeen.
In 1981 they moved to Rockcliffe, Dumfries. His wife, Rosemary, died in 2003.
Morewood died in December 2014 aged 98.