Battle of Britain London Monument – F/O D J Looker

Battle of Britain London Monument – F/O D J Looker Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
." London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument Battle of Britain London Monument Home Contact Information     How to Contribute     Latest News     Home          

About The Monument
History of the Project
The Monument Now
Visitor Information

The Airmen

Airmens names listed by   country of origin

Airmens stories

Privacy Statement The Airmen’s Stories – F/O D J Looker


David John Looker was educated at Eton and in the 1930s was a member of the British four-man bobsleigh team that won the World Championship in 1937 and 1938.

Having gained his pilots licence at Heston, he joined 615 Squadron Auxiliary Air Force at Kenley in 1938 and was a fully-trained pilot when he was called to full-time service on 24th August 1939. He was attached to 11 Group Pool St. Athan for Hurricane training on 9th September.

Looker later rejoined 615 Squadron at Croydon and went with it to France on 15th November 1939. He shared in the destruction of a Hs126 on 15th May 1940 but his Hurricane P2554 was then hit by flak, he baled out and landed on the battlefield at Waterloo.



With a badly injured left leg, Looker was sent to Brussels and then back to England.

On 13th June Looker was at Shenley Military Hospital before going on sick leave. He rejoined 615 at Kenley from No. 1 RAF Depot Uxbridge on 8th July for ground duties while waiting to be assessed by a Medical Board.

On 17th July Looker was appointed CO of Kenley Sector Training Flight, which was formed to complete training of new pilots posted direct to Kenley from an FTS course. Looker was examined by a Medical Board on 27th July and pronounced fit to return to duty.

On 18th August Looker’s Hurricane, L1592, was severely damaged by Me109’s over Sevenoaks. Whilst attempting a forced-landing at Croydon, he was fired on by ground defences and nosed over on landing, suffering severe concussion.

The aerodrome was about to be attacked by the Luftwaffe and personnel were in shelters. A corporal saw the Hurricane in the middle of the airfield, took a utility and drove out and dragged Looker out of his cockpit by his parachute harness, then took him to a shelter.

The Hurricane, L1592, can be seen today in the Science Museum, London.

Looker spent some time in hospital and returned to 615 Squadron for duty on 30th September. He was posted away to 607 Squadron at Turnhouse on 9th October to await an instructor posting.

He was posted from 607 to 5 FTS Sealand on 1st November 1940 for an instructors course. He went to Canada in December 1940 as a staff pilot at a training school.

His subsequent service is currently undocumented until he was released from the RAF in 1945 as a Flight Lieutenant.

He died in January 1995.


Battle of Britain Monument © Battle of Britain Archive 2007  –   Email:                    Site management by Consult-X and Altroy