Battle of Britain London Monument – Sgt. H E Green THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few." Contact Information How to Contribute Latest News Home
Privacy Statement The Airmen’s Stories – Sgt. H E Green
Herbert Edward Green was born at Edgbaston on 6th May 1914 and educated at the Oratory School, Birmingham. He began an engineering apprenticeship at BSA in 1932 but in November 1934 he left and joined the RAF as an Aircrafthand.
Green applied for pilot training and was selected in late 1937. He did his elementary flying at 2 E&RFTS Filton, moved on to 3 FTS South Cerney and qualified in June 1939 with a distinguished pass. He was posted to 9 Armament Training School in June 1939 as a staff pilot.
In early October Green joined 141 Squadron, then reforming at Turnhouse with Gladiators. The squadron re-equipped with Defiants from early 1940 and began escorting convoys in the North Sea. On 3rd July Green was one of a section which intercepted a Ju88 near Holy Island. After a long chase the Defiants could not catch it.
After the very high losses of 141 Squadron on 19th July 1940 it moved to Prestwick to reform as a night-fighter unit. The Defiants were exchanged for Beaufighters in August 1941. Green was promoted to Warrant Officer on 1st April 1941 and posted to CFS Upavon in January 1942 to take an instructors course.
Commissioned in November 1942, Green was a QFI at various flying schools until April 1945, when he was seconded to the Air Mission to Turkey.
He returned from there to England in November 1945 and was posted to No. 1 FTS Spitalgate. Green stayed in the RAF postwar and held various appointments at home and overseas, many concerned with photographic intelligence.
For his work in this field, he was made an MBE (gazetted 31st May 1956). He retired from the RAF on 1st May 1965 as a Squadron Leader.