Battle of Britain London Monument – Sgt. C Grayson THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few." Contact Information How to Contribute Latest News Home
Privacy Statement The Airmen’s Stories – Sgt. C Grayson
Charles Grayson, of Lewes, was educated at Uckfield Grammar School. He joined the RAF in January 1929 as an Aircraft Apprentice and passed out in December 1931 as a Metal Rigger. He later applied for pilot training and was selected.
In early 1940 Grayson was serving with 213 Squadron at Exeter. Over Dunkirk on 29th May he destroyed a Ju87 and damaged a He111. On 18th August he claimed a Me110 destroyed. Promoted to Warrant Officer on 1st April 1941, Grayson was commissioned in June. He then spent two years instructing in Canada, where he was Commended for Valuable Service in the Air (gazetted 26th October 1943) at 34 Service Flying Training School.
Grayson at Pembroke Dock with the crew of F/Lt. Neel:
Back row – L-R: Danny Robertson, Fred Devonshire, Sid Craige, Jimmy Jeans, Jerry Morbey
Front row – L-R: ‘Titch’ Dean, F/Lt. Charles Grayson, F/Lt. Neel, F/Lt. Laing, Ken Lakin.
Returning to the UK, he converted to Sunderlands at 4 (Coastal) OTU at Alness, Scotland following which he was posted to 228 Squadron at Pembroke Dock. After being posted to 53 Squadron on 23rd June 1945, he was killed with them on 8th July 1945, aged 32, as a Flight Lieutenant.
Liberator Mk VIII KH183 had one engine fail and break up on take-off from RAF St Davids, Wales and crashed. Three other airmen were also killed – F/Lt. TH Topping, F/O WGL Mills and F/Sgt. PN Scott.
Grayson is buried in Lewes Cemetery, Sussex.
Additional research and Grayson image courtesy of Angela Flude.