Battle of Britain London Monument – P/O A J Glegg THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few." Contact Information How to Contribute Latest News Home
Privacy Statement The Airmen’s Stories – P/O A J Glegg
Alexander Joseph Glegg was born in London in 1908 and educated at Bishops Stortford College from 1918 to 1926. His chosen profession was that of a Chartered Surveyor and he gained several qualifications before the war.
He joined 601 Squadron Auxiliary Air Force in 1935 as an Aircrafthand and was already married (to Marjorie in 1937) when he was called up on 24th August 1939.
Glegg remustered as an Airman u/t Air Gunner and began training with the squadron. He went to Jurby early in 1940 for a training course but on rejoining 601 he found that its Blenheims had been replaced by Hurricanes.
Glegg and the other air gunners were posted away and he was serving with 23 Squadron at Collyweston by June 1940. He flew his last sortie with it on 23rd June.
Commissioned in early July, Glegg later went to 600 Squadron at Manston and flew his first sortie on 15th September.
Above: Glegg (left) and Boyd.
He retrained as a radar operator and teamed up with F/O AD McN Boyd in November, forming a long and successful night-fighting partnership.
On 16th May 1941 they destroyed a Ju88, on 10th October a He111 and on 2nd December another He111.
Both were awarded the DFC (gazetted 9th January 1942).
Above: Glegg and his family at Buckingham Palace on the occasion of his DFC award.
On 25th January 1942 they shot down a He111 and on 7th March a He115 within sight of the airfield at Predannack.
Tour-expired, Boyd and Glegg were rested. When Boyd was given command of 219 Squadron at Scorton in March 1943, he again had Glegg with him. The squadron went to North Africa in early June and became operational at Algiers on the 30th.
On that day Boyd and Glegg shot down two Ju88’s. On 25th August they destroyed another, on 6th September a He111 and on the 18th another.
The squadron returned to the UK in February 1944 and eventually both men were posted away to other places.
Glegg was awarded a Bar to the DFC (gazetted 7th April 1944).
Above: Glegg, seventh from left, with a 600 Squadron Beaufighter and fellow airmen.
He was released from the RAF in 1945 as a Squadron Leader and resumed his career, joining Andrew Roberts & Partners in South Kensington. He went on to become one of two senior partners and was made a fellow of the RICS.
After his retirement in 1972 the firm relocated to Redhill and named their new HQ ‘Glegg House’.
Glegg and his family moved to Rustington in West Sussex where he was an active Freemason and held posts in the British Legion.
He was a founder member of the Arun Yacht Club at Littlehampton in the 1950s and crewed on motor yachts while he and his wife spent holidays on cruise ships.
He died on 5th July 1992.
Additional research and all images courtesy of Peter Glegg (son).