Battle of Britain London Monument – F/O B E Finucane

Battle of Britain London Monument – F/O B E Finucane Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
." London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument Battle of Britain London Monument Home Contact Information     How to Contribute     Latest News     Home          

About The Monument
History of the Project
The Monument Now
Visitor Information

The Airmen

Airmens names listed by   country of origin

Airmens stories

Privacy Statement The Airmen’s Stories – F/O B E Finucane


Brendan Eamonn Fergus Finucane was born in Dublin, Ireland on 16th October 1920. He was the eldest of five children and in his youth he attended the local Christian Brothers O’Connell School. Brendan’s mother and father, Florence and Thomas Finucane moved Richmond in London during 1936. After leaving school Finucane found employment as a clerk, his aptitude for mathematics inspired him to seek a career in accountancy.

Recognising that war was coming, Finucane decided to apply for a short service commission in the RAF. He was successful and commenced flying traing at 6 E&RFTS Sywell on 29th August 1938 while still 17 years old. Surprisingly perhaps, considering his later accomplishments as a pilot, he made poor progress and was consistently rated as ‘below average’. Further training at 8 FTS Montrose followed, then a posting to 13 MU Henlow on 26th June 1939 to the Practice and Test Flight.

He went to 7 OTU Hawarden on 28th June 1939 to convert to Spitfires and was then posted to 65 Squadron at Hornchurch on 15th July.

Over two days in August, 12th and 13th, he claimed two Me109’s destroyed, two probables and one damaged.

No further victories were claimed by Finucane until June 1941; on the 4th a Me110, on the 19th he shared a Ju88, on 4th February destroyed a Me109 and on 15th April another. He was awarded the DFC (gazetted 13th May 1941).

On 14th April Finucane was posted to 452 (RAAF) Squadron, then forming at Kirton-in-Lindsey, as a Flight Commander. He claimed a Me109 destroyed on 11th July, the squadron’s first victory. Here he met F/Lt. Keith ‘Bluey’ Truscott, one of the Australian pilots, and they speculated about setting up in business in Australia once the war was over.

Between 3rd August and 13th October 1941 Finucane claimed sixteen Me109’s destroyed, two probably destroyed, two shared and two damaged. He was awarded a Bar to the DFC (gazetted 9th  September 1941), a second Bar (gazetted 26th September 1941) and the DSO (gazetted 21st October 1941).

After breaking an ankle in the blackout, Finucane entered the RAF Hospital Halton on 14th November and left a week later to convalesce at Torquay. He rejoined 452, then at Kenley, on 19th January 1942.

One week later Finucane took command of 602 Squadron at Redhill. He was wounded on 20th February in an engagement with Fw190’s over Mardyck near Dunkirk. He was flying Spitfire Vb BL548 during a ‘Rhubarb’ sortie when a cannon shell exploded in his cockpit. Wounded and losing blood he was able to return to base but had to be lifted out from the shattered cockpit before being taken to hospital. He was back in action in early March.

He destroyed a Fw190 and shared another on 13th March, shared a probable Ju88 on the 14th, destroyed a Fw190 on the 26th, got a probable Fw190 and a probable Me109 and shared another on the 28th, damaged Fw190’s on 2nd April, 10th and 16th, shared a Fw190 on the 26th, damaged another on the 28th, probably destroyed one on the 30th, shot down another Fw190 down on 17th May and probably another on 8th June.

Finucane was appointed Wing Commander Flying at Hornchurch on 21st June 1942. After attacking ships at Ostend and strafing a German airfield on 15th July the Wing reformed to return to Hornchurch. As it passed at low level over the beach at Pointe du Touquet, Finucane’s Spitfire Vb BM308 (a presentation aircraft named B.E. Finucane) was hit by machine gun fire from the ground and the radiator was damaged. His engine began to overheat and Finucane apparently prepared to bale out but was too low. The engine stopped and he crashed into the sea. No trace of him was ever found. He was 21 years old.

Finueane’s last words over the R/T before hitting the water were ‘This is it, chaps‘.

He was an immensely able and popular leader and his loss was very keenly felt, the squadron ORB for this day stating:

A fine bright day today and at eleven thirty pilots are called to the briefing room and told by Wing Commander Finucane that the hutted camp at Etaples is going to be shot up. He is leading 154. It is a tragic day for us all. Wing Commander Finucane has the foulest luck. A stream of bullets from a Hun machine gun on the beach in the Estuary mouth gets his radiator. He is forced to ditch and is not seen again.

Finucane’s personal aircraft was adorned with a shamrock emblem. A well-meaning member of his groundcrew added a circle of swastikas, representing his victories to date. Finucane, always known as ‘Paddy’, asked for them to be removed as he felt it was wrong to boast about actions that must have resulted in the death of an unknown number of young men.

Although an Irish citizen, Finucane was a national hero in Great Britain. A Requiem Mass was held for him at Westminster Cathedral in London and over 3,000 people attended. A nationwide appeal resulted in the bequeathing of the ‘Finucane Ward’ in the Richmond Royal Hospital.

He is remembered on the Runnymede Memorial, Panel 64.

His portrait was made by Cuthbert Orde in October 1941.






Apart from the road named after Finucane at the Grassmead Estate in St.Mary Cray, Kent, there is a block of flats named ‘Finucane Court’ in his old hometown of Richmond in Surrey.








Dean Sumner: September 2007


April 2009 – Paddy Finucane is now commemorated in his native Ireland – click here


‘Spitfire Paddy’            – a rose named after an Irish Battle of Britain pilot

Brendan ‘Paddy’ Finucane flew with 65 Squadron during the Battle of Britain and continued in action with the RAF until he was declared ‘Missing’ over the Channel on 15th July 1942. For a full account of his service click here

We are indebted to Maurice Byrne, a friend of the Finucane family, for this account of an imaginative project to commemorate Brendan at Baldonnel near Dublin, currently the HQ of the Irish Air Corps and the aerodrome from where Brendan first took to the air. Maurice writes:

Brendan Finucane has not been forgotten. His uniform and medals may be seen in the Battle of Britain Wing at the RAF Museum in Hendon, north London. In Ireland now, I’m glad to say we now recognise the sacrifice made by those brave Irishmen of both world wars from both sides of the border. At Baldonnel Aerodrome where a young Brendan Finucane first took to the air all those years ago there is a living memory to him in the form of a beautiful rose bush. The rose is ‘Spitfire Paddy’, grown by Sean McCann, my father-in-law, at my behest and planted with due ceremony by members of the Irish Air Corps and the Royal Air Forces Association. Brigadier-General Ralph James GOC of the Irish Air Corps deserves much praise for all his assistance and seeing, with pilots eyes, the bigger picture.

Sean McCann writes:

I would like to tell you about a wonderful reception today for my rose ‘ Spitfire Paddy’. It is in memory of a famous Irish Fighter ace and was given an unprecedented planting today by the Irish Air Corps – the first time an Irish airman who served with the British forces has been honoured. They had a reception for officers of the Air Corps, a Pipe Band (Irish pipes are much more preferable to the Scottish skirls), a big specially invited audience and a General to plant the rose. I was thrilled. A rose of mine to get a reception like this. I could not believe it. Maurice Byrne has been dedicated to the memory of Spitfire Paddy and asked me if I would name a rose for Brendan Finucane. He told me about him and suddenly there was the rose. It was in a border of roses that I bred many years ago but had never been propagated. As a matter of fact few ever mentioned it. But it had all the colours that I would associate with a fighter pilot. The brightness of dawn, the close of an evening – and the
terror or fire in a gun battle.

I never throw out a rose seedling. Nature may kill it with wind or weather but I will never willingly throw out a rose. This was a survivor, maybe 20 years sitting in that border. And now its moment had come. I had only one bush but with the help of David Kenny it was propagated. And in November 2004 it was planted with all due ceremony by the Irish Air Corps in an airfield outside Dublin. Other plants have been passed on to his family. The memory of Spitfire Paddy lives on.

Above: the rose pictured on 1st June 2008

Below: the Air Corps memorial at Baldonnel

Above : panel 64 at Runnymede on which Wing Commander Finucane is commemorated

Battle of Britain Monument © Battle of Britain Archive 2007  –   Email:                    Site management by Consult-X and Altroy        



Battle of Britain Monument © Battle of Britain Archive 2007  –   Email:                    Site management by Consult-X and Altroy