Battle of Britain London Monument – Sgt. A W Eade

Battle of Britain London Monument – Sgt. A W Eade Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
." London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument Battle of Britain London Monument Home Contact Information     How to Contribute     Latest News     Home          

About The Monument
History of the Project
The Monument Now
Visitor Information

The Airmen

Airmens names listed by   country of origin

Airmens stories

Privacy Statement The Airmen’s Stories – Sgt. A W Eade


Arthur William Eade was educated at Midhurst Grammar School and joined the RAF as an Aircraft Apprentice in January 1929. He passed out in December 1931 as a Fitter, Aero Engines. He applied for Observer training and on 13th March 1937 he reported to the Air Observers School at North Coates.

With the course completed, Eade was posted to 90 Squadron, Bicester on 13th July 1937 as a Corporal-Observer. He applied for pilot training and was selected. On 13th March 1939 he began elementary flying training at 9 E&RFTS Ansty. Two months later Eade was posted to 12 FTS Grantham after which he joined 266 Squadron, then reforming at Sutton Bridge, on 5th November 1939.



On the evening of 15th August Eade claimed a He115 destroyed off Deal and a couple of hours later shared a Ju88 south of London.

He moved to 602 Squadron at Westhampnett on 13th September 1940 and then to 610 Squadron on 16th December 1940. During a sweep off Calais on 19th March 1941 Eade was jumped by a Me109 and shot down, with shrapnel wounds to a shoulder and an arm. He made a forced-landing near Hailsham.

He was posted to 58 OTU Grangemouth on 14th April 1941 as an instructor. Eade was promoted to Warrant Officer on 1st October and was posted to 65 Squadron at Westhampnett on 3rd November 1941.

He had been with the squadron for more than a year when he went to the Maintenance Wing at 58 OTU where he stayed until July 1944, moving then to 61 OTU Keevil.

Eade was awarded the AFC (gazetted 2nd June 1943).

He was released from the RAF in September 1947 as a Warrant Officer.

He died in 1983.


Battle of Britain Monument © Battle of Britain Archive 2007  –   Email:                    Site management by Consult-X and Altroy