Battle of Britain London Monument – Sgt. A Dvorak THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few." Contact Information How to Contribute Latest News Home
Privacy Statement The Airmen’s Stories – Sgt. A Dvorak
Alois Dvorak was born in Plumlov, Czechoslovakia on 23rd May 1916. On 1st October 1935 he entered the Military Aviation Academy at Prostejov for pilot training. On graduation he was posted to 5 Squadron of 2 Aviation Regiment at Olomouc.
After the Germans took over Czechoslovakia in March 1939 he was demobilised. On 9th July 1939 he left Olomouc by train, hiding in a toilet until it had crossed into Poland. On the 21st he arrived in Krakow and reported to the Czechoslovak Consulate.
On the 27th he went to Gdynia and boarded the ms Chroby, sailing for Boulogne in France where he arrived on the 31st. He joined the l’Armée de l’Air in September 1939 and on the 11th was posted to Avord, near Bourges for training. He went on to Istres on 11th December 1939. On 16th January 1940 Dvorak was posted to the Czech contingent at the flying school at Chartres. He had yet to make an operational flight when he was sent to Cazaux near Bordeaux on 23rd May 1940.
When France fell, Dvorak sailed from Bordeaux on 19th June 1940 on the ms Robur III, arriving in Falmouth on the 22nd.
He was processed into the RAFVR in August at the Czechoslovak Depot at Cosford and went from there to 6 OTU Sutton Bridge on 28th September to convert to Hurricanes. He then joined 310 Squadron at Duxford on 15th October 1940.
Apart from a short detachment to 257 Squadron in May 1941 Dvorak remained with 310 Squadron for his time with the RAF.
Dvorak crashed in Hurricane P 2795 at Debden on 5th November after being attacked by Me109’s over the Thames Estuary. He was unhurt.
On 24th September 1941, still with 310 Squadron, Dvorak was flying from Dyce to Montrose in very bad weather. His Hurricane, Z2766, struck Leachie Hill near Stonehaven and Dvorak was killed.
Dvorak is buried in Dyce Old Churchyard, Aberdeen.