Battle of Britain London Monument – F/Lt. R W Denison

Battle of Britain London Monument – F/Lt. R W Denison Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
." London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument Battle of Britain London Monument Home Contact Information     How to Contribute     Latest News     Home          

About The Monument
History of the Project
The Monument Now
Visitor Information

The Airmen

Airmens names listed by   country of origin

Airmens stories

Privacy Statement The Airmen’s Stories – F/Lt. R W Denison


Richard Warren Denison was born in London but brought up in Vernon, British Columbia, Canada. He joined the RAF on a short service commission in December 1935.

On 14th March 1936 he was posted to 3 FTS Grantham and joined 213 Squadron at Church Fenton on 8th March 1937. Denison was with 236 Squadron in July 1940 and served with it during the Battle. He was recalled from leave after the CO, S/Ldr. PE Drew, was reported missing on 1st August. Denison took temporary command of the squadron from the 4th to the 15th, when S/Ldr. GW Montagu arrived.



Denison was posted away in October 1940 and on the 27th he went to 6 OTU Sutton Bridge to convert to Hurricanes. He commanded 80 Squadron in the Western Desert from April to September 1942 and commanded 46 Squadron at Idku from June to August 1944 and again in November/December 1944.

Denison was awarded the AFC (gazetted 1st January 1945). He returned to Canada after release from the RAF and in 1946 joined Trans-Canada Airlines. He went on to join Canadian Pacific Airlines and later Yellowknife Airways.

On 6th February 1951 Denison and an unnamed passenger took off from Yellowknife in Avro Anson CF-EKJ on a charter cargo flight. The aircraft failed to gain height and struck a tall building in the town, both men being killed.

A subsequent enquiry found that the Anson was overloaded by 1400lbs. and had been parked in the open for six days before the flight. The accumulation of frost and snow had not been cleared from the wings and this would have adversely affected the lift they could generate.


Battle of Britain Monument © Battle of Britain Archive 2007  –   Email:                    Site management by Consult-X and Altroy