Battle of Britain London Monument – F/O P E G Carter

Battle of Britain London Monument – F/O P E G Carter Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
." London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument Battle of Britain London Monument Home Contact Information     How to Contribute     Latest News     Home          

About The Monument
History of the Project
The Monument Now
Visitor Information

The Airmen

Airmens names listed by   country of origin

Airmens stories

Privacy Statement The Airmen’s Stories – F/O P E G Carter


Peter Edward George Carter joined the RAF on a short service commission and began his flying training in October 1938. Carter was initially posted to 605 Squadron at Wick. He joined 73 Squadron in France on 21st May 1940. The squadron was withdrawn to Church Fenton on 18th June. He claimed two Ju88s’ destroyed on 15th August.




Carter was attached to 302 (Polish) Squadron at Leconfield on 24th August. He was a member of a squadron patrol on 18th October 1940. The patrol became lost in fog over the Surrey Hills. The patrol leader caught a glimpse of Kempton Park racecourse and ordered his pilots to make forced-landings.

Carter was one of four pilots killed in the attempt, when he tried to bale out at 50 feet. His Hurricane, P3931, crashed on the racecourse.

This account comes from Brenda Telander who was 10 years old at the time:

I was sent on an errand by my mother to collect one pound of sausages which she had ordered in advance from the butchers. Instead of returning via Manor Lane, I decided to go via French Street instead. I turned left in to Staines Road and was walking towards White Lodge Garage. On the corner was a café and as I continued walking there was a very loud explosion. The first plane came down very fast and blew up on impact setting the fence and trees alight. Then a second plane came and was breaking up, bits seemed to fall in the field near by, and as I stood there a pilot fell from the sky landing about 25 -30 feet in front of me. There was no movement but his parachute had been deployed as it came down over his body.

I was so shocked at what I had seen I was rooted to the spot.

Then bullets started to explode and were firing in all directions. A Warden then picked me up to remove me from the danger. Once he put me down I ran home the way I should have gone via Manor Lane.

When I got home I told my mother what I had seen. She scolded me for not coming back the way I should have. When she saw the sausages she noticed that my fingers had pierced the skin of two of them from the shock of what I had seen.

She said ‘Those two will be for you for tomorrow nights dinner’ . I was 10 years old in 1940.




Carter was 21 and is buried in Queen’s Road Cemetery, Croydon in the grave of his mother’s family.



Battle of Britain Monument © Battle of Britain Archive 2007  –   Email:                    Site management by Consult-X and Altroy