Battle of Britain London Monument – S/Ldr. M F Anderson

Battle of Britain London Monument – S/Ldr. M F Anderson Battle of Britain Monument Home THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN LONDON MONUMENT Battle of Britain London Monument The Battle of Britain London Monument "Never in the field of human
conflict was so much owed
by so many to so few
." London Monument Site Drawing of Battle of Britain London Monument Battle of Britain London Monument Home Contact Information     How to Contribute     Latest News     Home          

About The Monument
History of the Project
The Monument Now
Visitor Information

The Airmen

Airmens names listed by   country of origin

Airmens stories

Privacy Statement The Airmen’s Stories – S/Ldr. M F Anderson


Michael Frederic Anderson was a member of the Stock Exchange when he joined 604 Squadron Auxiliary Air Force on 4th October 1930, he was commissioned a month later.

In the pre-war years he attended camps and courses and was with 23 Squadron at Biggin Hill in March 1935 and at Northolt in July 1937.



Called to full-time service on 24th August 1939, Anderson was then ‘A’ Flight Commander of 604. He was detached from the squadron to the AFDU at Northolt on 5th February 1940 for a ten-day course.

Anderson assumed command of 604 Squadron on 28th March 1940 and led it throughout the Battle of Britain.

On 11th August he shared in the destruction of a He59 in mid-Channel. On 30th October he flew the first ever operational patrol of a Beaufighter and in the evening of 28th November he probably destroyed a Ju88 off Warmwell.

On 20th December 1940 Anderson went to No. 1 Blind Approach School at Watchfield on No. 9 Course, rejoining 604 on 4th January 1941.

During the evening of 14th March 1941 Anderson shot down a He111 into the sea off Beer Head, in Lyme Bay.

He was awarded the DFC (gazetted 25th March 1941). The citation stated that he had carried out many night operational flights and that, in addition to the He 111, he had probably destroyed a Ju88 at night and one enemy aircraft in daylight.

In early April 1941 Anderson was posted to RAF High Ercall, to take command. After three months he went to HQ 9 Group at Preston, then to the Middle East to serve at HQ 250 Wing, Ismailia.

A series of staff appointments followed, the last being at Air HQ, Levant.

Anderson was released from the RAF on 3rd October 1945 as a Wing Commander.

He died in 1993.



Battle of Britain Monument © Battle of Britain Archive 2007  –   Email:                    Site management by Consult-X and Altroy